If you’re new to white mulberries, they have a deliciously sweet, honey-like flavour when eaten fresh and evolve into chewy caramel when dried. But they’re not just a pretty face! Mulberries have the highest protein content of almost any other berry and along with their nutritious leaves, twigs and roots, have been revered as medicine for thousands of years in their native China. There is now an impressive body of research confirming their use as a functional food.
Join us for a relaxing day in the beautiful surrounds of the Central Coast Hinterland as we harvest our white mulberries. It’s an all-you-can-eat affair and we’ll divide up the bounty on the day, for everyone to take home.
What you’ll learn:
- The latest research on the powerful compounds found in mulberry fruit, twigs and leaves
- Creative ways to utilise the different parts on a day-to-day basis
- How to cook with and preserve the fruit
- Hands-on lessons:
- Making ‘dolmades’ (stuffed vine leaves) with mulberry leaves
- Pie-making with our resident baking expert (who’ll be sharing a family heirloom recipe!)
- All the fresh mulberries you can harvest
- A bag of dried white mulberries to take home
- Handout with recipes, ideas and nutritional information
- Morning tea refreshments, lunch and a tour of the property
Date: Sunday 12th November
Location: Jilliby, Central Coast (just 1.15 hrs north of Sydney)
Spaces are strictly limited.